Natural Solutions for Tonsil Stones
We have researched natural solutions for getting rid of tonsil stones. These are suggestions from other sufferers and should be tried at your own risk.
- Gargling with warm salt water helps to reduce the discomfort and pain associated with tonsil stones. Gargling is effective technique which will help you to get rid of tonsil stones. Normal salt solution can be used after every meal to flush out the food particles from your mouth.
- Coughing and opening your mouth wide may help dislodge tonsil stones
- Using a cotton bud and gently pressing the tonsil from the bottom and gently prodding a little higher each time, this may help push the tonsil stones out. Remember to press gently.
- You could use a medicine dropper. The suction from the dropper can suck up the tonsil stones from the holes in your tonsils.
- An exercise to do is extend the head backward, place the tongue at the roof of the mouth and swallow.
Ideally you want to prevent the tonsil stones from forming in the first place. Here are some suggestions:
- Simple and obvious but make sure you brush your teeth in the morning and evening and ideally after every meal – brushing will dislodge the small food particles that get stuck in your teeth and helps keep your mouth bacteria free.
- Always use a tongue scraper as part of your oral care routine. Once you have brushed your teeth – reach as far back on your tongue as you can without gagging. This will remove bacteria that has built up on your tongue which your toothbrush may have missed.
- Gargle with alcohol free mouth wash or salt water – ideally every time you brush your teeth
- Don’t eat just before you go to bed- food particles remain in your mouth while you sleep and will accumulate in your tonsils.
- Eliminate or cut down on dairy products in your diet – dairy products encourage the build up of mucus and calcium, which are components that make up tonsil stones.
- If you are thirsty drink water – water keeps your mouth moist; fizzy drinks, juices and caffeine drinks can encourage tonsil stone growth.